When it comes to hospitality, Bernard McKeown was a pioneer and a visionary. He purchased one acre of land on the Main Street of Margaret River 1933 when it was little more than a dirt road with a few weatherboard shops.

The initial 1936 build and continued development has been closely associated with major developments in the region, in the first instance Group Settlement tourism to the caves, and the development of viticulture in the region in late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries. Bernard was passionate about hospitality and created a home away from home for many of his visiting guests.