Built in 1936 by Mr Bernard McKeown the Margaret River Hotel was the first public house in town and has since become a much loved local icon. In those days guests enjoyed having their shoes polished, early morning tea and toast, daily newspapers in bed plus breakfast, a cut lunch and an evening four course meal!
A front lounge was added and the bar was extended in 1961 to accommodate the growing popularity of Margaret River as a holiday destination. The Hotel was then sold by the McKeown family in 1972.
In 1986, 50 years to the day since it first opened, the Hotel was unveiled to reveal further extensions and a complete interior refurbishment.